Driving abroad

Driving abroad

If you’re planning to drive while on holiday, make sure you check your licence and insurance before you go.

If you have type 1 diabetes, you should have a three-year restricted driving licence. Check that it won’t expire before you’re due to return. It is free to renew your licence, but it might take time to get it back.

A UK driving licence means you can drive within the EEA. If you want to drive outside Europe, you can get an International Driving Permit (IDP) at the post office. You can apply for an IDP up to three months before you travel and it is valid for a year.

If you’re driving abroad, you must make sure you have insurance. Whether this is part of your existing policy, an optional add-on or part of a car hire contract.

Leave a Reply